A popular use of our app is to allow bookings for the rental of physical products. There are 2 scenarios we commonly see:
Using a single date picker. In this case the end date will be created based on the durations configured for the product.
Booking Form 1 is used for this scenario
You can see an example of how it looks here: http://pragmaticinsights.myshopify.com/products/boat-rental
- Using "from" and "to" date pickers so that the customer can choose the duration of their booking.
- Booking Form 2 is used for this scenario.
- You can see an example of how it looks here: http://pragmaticinsights.myshopify.com/products/dress-rental
Setting up the product
There are 2 steps to setting up the product in order to take bookings:
- Create the product in Shopify
- Import and configure the product in BookThatApp
Creating the product in Shopify
- In Shopify Admin, create a new product.
- If your product comes in different varieties you add variants. For example: Size or Color.
- If you are using a single date picker then you can set up variants for the Rental Duration. This will allow to customer to choose the number of days for the rental.
- You may also want to set up a rental duration if you are using from/to date pickers but in this case we would recommend you hide the option so that customers do not choose a date range and then go back and change the duration - please see our customization services page for more details.
Import and configure the product in BookThatApp
- If you have not already done so install either Booking Form 1 or Booking Form 2 into your theme.
- Go to the products page in BookThatApp Admin and find the product you just set up in Shopify in the list on the right. Click on the product to import it. Please refer to our help article on importing products if you need further help with this step.
- Configure the product:
- Choose "Product" as the Profile
- Enter the capacity of the product. This represents how many items you have in stock. In most instances it will be product based however if you offer different sizes or colors then you may choose to use variant based capacity. Please refer to setting product capacity for more information.
- Enter the Duration (number of days for the rental) for the product or each variant.
- If you are using Booking Form 2 and you offer a different daily rate depending on how long the rental is for then choose variant based duration and select "Variants represent date range?" checkbox. This will allow you to configure the durations that correspond to the Rental Duration option. Please ensure the 'All Day' checkbox is selected for each variant.
- If you are using Booking Form 2 and the daily rate is fixed ensure the 'Date range updates quantity?' quantity checkbox is checked on the Products tab in BTA Admin > Settings. You must also ensure your theme's quantity selector enabled (typically a theme setting). We recommend hiding this so that customers do not change it after BookThatApp has set it. Enabling and/or hiding the quantity selector falls outside of our no-charge support but if you need help with it we do offer a customization service.
- Enter lead and/or lag times. These times are typically used to account for shipping or cleaning. You can leave this fields blank if they do not apply to your scenario. Please refer to configuring lead or lag time for more information.
- If you are using Booking Form 2 enter the minimum and maximum values for the Date Range, and select to Count days or nights.
- If you also offer an option to buy the product then ensure those variants have the "Hide" checkbox selected.
- Add a Resource (if applicable)
- Add a Location (if applicable)
- Add the cutoff date or future date (if applicable)
- Choose a set of colors for the product. This allows you to differentiate products and events by color on the Admin Calendar.
- Click the Save button.