Below are some of the questions we have received about BookThatApp (BTA). If there is a question you have that is not answered here, please submit a help ticket and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
1. How do you install BTA?
BookThatApp seamlessly integrates into your online store (as opposed to taking you to another site, or showing a popup window that doesn't look like your store) so there are a series of installation steps that need to be performed in order to get up and running. To begin the installation, click on the Installation Guide in the left hand navigation of the BTA admin screen and follow the instructions.
Some technical knowledge is required, or we can also do this for you for a small (non-refundable) charge. Please see the 'Purchase Installation' section in the BTA left hand navigation.
2. What if I change my theme?
BookThatApp is tightly integrated into the product and cart pages so if the theme changes it will need to be re-installed. The calendar does not need to be be re-installed however you should check if the new theme styling and layout of the theme impact how the calendar looks.
If you purchased installation from us initially we can copy that over to the new theme for $50.
3. Do you have a user manual?
The Getting Started manual can be found in the left hand nav of the BTA admin screen under User Guide.
4. How do I choose the right booking form?
We have created an article here that will help you decide which form to use for your specific booking scenario.
5. Can I restrict the booking period?
Yes, BTA has a setting called Opening Hours that lets you set the days and times to accept bookings. The app also has a Blackout feature which lets you restrict individual days (e.g. public holidays). It also offers a lead and lag time that allows you to add time before or after a rental to allow for shipping time.
6. Does the app allow you to restrict the maximum number of days in the future that a customer can book?
Yes, this is supported. It can be set in the product page in the BTA admin.
7. Can the calendar be customized?
The colour of the calendar can be chosen via the Settings page. Please contact us for a quote at email@example.com if you require additional customizations.
8. Can I have a product that is available for rent as well as purchase?
In the BTA product configuration screen you can indicate that certain variants be ignored. When one of those variants is selected in your online store the booking fields (date/time) are hidden.
After the Booking
1. How does the BTA booking sync with the Shopify order?
When a booking date is chosen on the store, real time availability for the product is verified with BTA. If the time is available, the slot will show as available. If the time is not available it will be grayed out and unable to be selected. Once the order is processed, Shopify will capture payment and send the customer an order confirmation. BTA then creates a booking for the products in the order. This booking will then display in the Booking Calendar in BTA and the booking date and time will show as unavailable in the Shopify store for future bookings.
If an order is cancelled the booking is also automatically deleted from BTA.
2. Can you see the date and time of the booking in the Shopify Order without having to go into BTA?
Yes. When the order is placed, the date and time (if applicable) selected by the customer appear on the order screen.
3. Can I change a booking time after an order is taken?
Yes. Go into the booking calendar, select the relevant booking and choose edit. You can then update the date and/or time of the booking. You can also email the customer confirmation of the new booking time. (Note: the order in Shopify will reflect the original date/time).
4. What is the difference between a “reserved” and “confirmed” booking?
BTA uses the Shopify order payment method to determine if an order is reserved or confirmed. If you have set up your store to “authorize” payment then the booking will show as reserved in BTA. If you have set up your store to “authorize and charge” payment, then the booking will show up as confirmed in BTA.
If you choose to “authorize” payment, then once you have “accepted payment” in Shopify, the booking status in BTA will automatically change from “reserved” to “confirmed”.
5. What does the customer receive once the order is placed?
The customer receives an order confirmation from Shopify which will include the date and time of the booking. If a booking is changed after the order is placed, you can send out an email from BTA with the new date and time. There is also a reminder email that can be configured to be sent before the event date.
6. How can I view my bookings?
You can view your bookings by month, by week or by day using the Calendar view in BTA admin. There is also a 'Run Sheet' report that presents your bookings in a single page summary for either a set day, or over a selected time period.
Payments & Billing
1. Do you offer a free trial?
A free trial plan is available. It is intended to let you explore the capabilities of the App and is limited to a maximum of 10 products and 10 total bookings. There is no time limit on the free trial. Sign up at www.bookthatapp.com
You can also view a breakdown of all our plans, from free to paid, here.
2. Is Shopify POS supported?
Shopify POS is not supported at this time, however BTA admin works on an iPad so it is possible to view availability and take bookings in-store on the POS device.
3. Do I need to checkout to make a booking?
No. If you are taking appointments and do not charge for them we have an embedded booking form that bypasses the cart checkout process.
4. If I am renting equipment how can I capture a deposit?
There are several ways to capture a deposit:
- Create a separate deposit product and using code have it added to the cart automatically. When the item is returned you can refund the deposit part of the order.
- You can include the deposit into the price of the item and issue a partial refund when the item is returned.
- As per this answer on the Shopify forums, you can get place an authorization on the credit card and if the item is damaged capture the full amount. With this set up you would need to add the full price item, plus the rental item, in the cart.
- Make the price of the product the deposit amount and have the customer pay in full when they pick up the item. See this post on the Shopify forums.
1. Is BTA compatible with all themes?
Yes, however some are definitely easier than others. Generally speaking any themes using Ajax add to cart are more difficult and we recommend using standard add to cart functionality instead. If you are using a theme with the Quick View feature it will need to be turned off in your theme settings.
The 'startup' theme is particularly difficult and not recommended for accepting date ranges because it does not handle the variant being selected automatically.
2. How do I get support?
We have a ticketing system on this help desk. You can create a ticket here. Please include a link to the product page and the order, or booking number if applicable.
3. Does the Shopify Shopping Cart show the booking details?
Yes, the date and time of the booking will display under the product name and in the checkout screens.
4. Does it support languages other than English
BTA supports a number of languages (and date/time formats) for the datepicker and calendar components that are shown in the store. BTA Admin only supports English at this time. You can read about how to edit your settings here.
5. Are mobile devices supported?
BTA is designed to be responsive in order to support different device resolutions.
6. Do you have a demo site?
Yes. You can view our demo site here. Or please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we are happy to send you some examples of real Shopify stores using the product.
7. How do I uninstall BTA?
Uninstalling BookThatApp is the same as any other Shopify App: http://docs.shopify.com/support/configuration/apps/how-do-i-uninstall-an-app. You may also want to remove the booking-form snippet from your theme.
8. Can BookThatApp handle a rental scenario where I want to charge per day and specify the number of products (quantity)?
This scenario is supported. We add a booking-units field on the product page to record the number of units that will be booked, and use a standard hidden Shopify quantity field to store the number of days x the number of units. We also update the cart page to show number of units. Please note this is a customization and not included in our standard install fee.