This article will walk you through the process of configuring products in BookThatApp (BTA) that represent events, tours, or activities, using the activity widget.
Before completing this setup guide configuration steps please make sure to enable the Booking Widgets App Embed option for the Shopify Theme according to the following help article: Enabling the BTA Booking Widgets App Embed
There are 2 ways to create your products: via the Shopify admin product page, or through the app installation process. We recommend using the app installation method as it streamlines the process and walks you through each of the steps from product creation to implementing your booking widget.
If you opt to create your product in Shopify first please select the following link.
BookThatApp (BTA) Setup Wizard
The BTA setup wizard walks you through creating a product and configuring the widget that will allow the booking form to display on the product page of your storefront.
1. In the app admin select Installation to begin the process.
2. After selecting the option for the type of bookings you will take you will select the Next button to continue the process. For this example we selected the Activity/Tour/Experiences option.
3. Here are a few brief notes regarding variants.
- Any option representing pricing should be done through variants.
- Do not enter the dates or times of the event as variants because you will create a schedule in the app.
- If you have a minimum party size requirement for your bookings you will want to create a set of variants for Party Size. An example of this would be a booking requirement for the minimum party size of 2 and a maximum party size of 7.
4. If you created your product in Shopify and imported it into the app choose Tour/Activity as the Profile. This is automatically done if you are creating your product through the app's Setup Wizard.
The remaining configuration steps are the same regardless of the method you used to create your products.
5. Enter the capacity of the event (max number of people permitted per time slot)
6. Choose to base capacity on Product, Variant, or Resource. In this example we want the event capacity to be based on variant since we offer 2 types of tickets.
7. Enter the Duration.
8. Select to hide any variants you do not want the booking calendar to appear on.
9. Set the Units value equal to the amount of attendees for each variant. In this case, a party size of 2 represents 2 people so the Units value should be set to 2. This means that if a booking is taken for a party size of 2 the total capacity for the corresponding variant will reduce by 2.
10. Add a Location (if applicable). This will let you schedule by location and include the location's address in reminder emails.
11. Add a cutoff date or future date (if applicable)
12. If desired, choose a set of colours for the activity. This allows you to differentiate events by colour on the Booking Overview Calendar.
13. In the field under Sign Up List enter in email address where you want an enrollment report to be sent.
14. Create the schedule for your event:
- One off Dates: Use this option if your dates are random (ie. Jan 1, Feb 5, Mar 12)
- Repeat: Use this option if the class recurs on a regular basis. (ie. Every Monday at 6pm)
15. Hit Save.
The Activity widget can be used to allow your customers to choose the event date and time, and there are several settings available to change the way it works. The widget preview updates in real time so you can see the effect of the changes.
If you are using the Setup Wizard it will automatically walk you through the steps to configure and customize the widget. If you imported your product from Shopify you will need to complete the following steps.
- Access the widgets section of the app by selecting Widgets.
- Click Add Widget and select the Activity Widget to enable it.
- In the Products tab of the widget you can choose to use this widget configuration for all your Event products, or you can specify specific products.
- Activity Widget Settings
If you've completed the steps above you should now be able to visit the product page in your storefront and see the widget appear.