This article will walk you through the process of configuring products in BookThatApp (BTA) that represent events, tours, or activities, using the activity widget. You will specify a schedule for the event and the customer will be able to select a corresponding date and time. The widget provides the added ability of being able to select a quantity for each variant set.
Note: If you are only using widgets in your store you just need to complete step 3 of the install process to disable the quantity selector in the cart.
Shopify Product Page
1. Create a product to represent your event. In this example, it is live entertainment.
2. Set up an Shopify variants, if required. In this example we are allowing the customer to choose a type of ticket and select their party size. The minimum party size is 2, and the maximum party size is 5.
Party Size is not necessary if you do not have a minimum party size requirement, or a tiered price structure. Instead of the party size variable you would enable your quantity selector.
3. Enter the price for each variant and set the inventory to Do Not Track.
Do not enter the dates or times of the event as variants because you will create a schedule in the app.You can view more on adding and editing variants in this article from Shopify.
BookThatApp (BTA) Product Page
After you have saved the product in Shopify select BookThatApp Configuration from the More actions menu at the top of the page:
This will import the product into BTA and take you to the BTA product configuration page.
If you have previously set up products in BTA you will be prompted to copy the settings from one of them at this time. Go ahead and choose an existing Event product if you have set one up otherwise follow these steps:
1. Choose Tour/Activity as the Profile
2. Enter the capacity of the event (max number of people permitted per time slot)
3. Choose to base capacity on Product or Variant. In this example we want the event capacity to be based on variant since we offer 3 types of tickets.
4. Enter the Duration.
5. Select to hide any variants you do not want the booking calendar to appear on.
6. Set the Units value equal to the amount of attendees for each variant. In this case, a party size of 2 represents 2 people so the Units value should be set to 2. This means that if a booking is taken for a party size of 2 the total capacity for the corresponding variant will reduce by 2.
7. Add a Resource (if applicable)
8. Add a Location (if applicable)
9. Add a cutoff date or future date (if applicable)
10. If desired, choose a set of colours for the activity. This allows you to differentiate events by colour on the Booking Overview Calendar.
11. In the field under Sign Up List enter in email address where you want an enrollment report to be sent.
12. Create the schedule for your event:
- One off Dates: Use this option if your dates are random (ie. Jan 1, Feb 5, Mar 12)
- Repeat: Use this option if the class recurs on a regular basis. (ie. Every Monday at 6pm)
13. Hit Save.
The Activity widget can be used to allow your customers to choose the event date and time, and there are several settings available to change the way it works. The widget preview updates in real time so you can see the effect of the changes.
- Access the widgets configured for your store via BTA Admin > Configuration > Widgets.
- Click Add Widget and select the Activity Widget to enable it.
- In the Products tab of the widget you can choose to use this widget configuration for all your Event products, or you can specify specific products.
- Widget Settings
- Name: You can have multiple Activity widgets with different settings so you can use the name field to describe what this widget is for.
- Mode: Determines how the widget appears in the product page. Inline or Popup option.
- Filter Tags: Select from a list of available tags to prevent the widget from appearing. In this case no booking form will be applied unless you have also installed the classic booking form.