This article will walk you through the process of configuring products in BookThatApp (BTA) where the customer will select the rental period for their booking. The product rental widget will allow you to capture a single date or range of dates. You will have the option of charging the customer a predefined amount based on duration variant, a per day rate, or you can use duration variants to create price breaks.
There are 3 parts this guide will cover:
- Creating the product in Shopify
- Configuring the product in BookThatApp
- Setting up the product rental widget for your store
Here you can view an example of the widget as it appears to your customers: https://pragmaticinsights.myshopify.com/products/ski-equipment
Shopify Product Configuration Page
To begin we create the product that customers will be booking in Shopify Admin.
- Create a Shopify product to represent your rental product. Be sure to set the inventory to Do Not Track.
- Add variants if applicable. E.g. Size, Color, Duration.
If you will charge a set daily rate you do not need to create a duration variant. You can view more on adding and editing variants in this article from Shopify.
BTA Product Configuration Page
After you have saved the product in Shopify, click on "BookThatApp Configuration" from the More actions menu at the top of the page:
This will import the product into BTA and take you to the BTA product configuration page.
If you have previously set up products in BTA you will be prompted to copy the settings from one of them at this time. Go ahead and choose an existing rental product if you have set one up otherwise follow these steps:
1. Choose "Product" as the Profile
2. Enter the Capacity of the product (max number of the product available at any 1 time)
3. Choose to base capacity on Product or Variant. In most instances, it will be product based. However, if you offer different sizes or colors then you may choose to use variant based capacity.
With a variant based capacity the variant representing capacity must be listed first.
4. There are a few options for setting duration. It all comes down to how you handle pricing.
a. Shopify Variants - with this option you will create variants in Shopify to represent the duration.
ie. 1 Day, 3 Days, 1 Week, etc.
On the product configuration page in the app you will base the Duration off of Variant and set the values accordingly.
b. Daily Rate - to offer a daily rate you will base the Duration off of Product and set the value to 1 day.
c. Price Breaks Based on Rental Duration - to implement this base the Duration on Variant. Select the
'Variants represent date range?' checkbox and enter the duration values in the 'Range From' and 'Range To' fields.
5. Enter lead or lag time (if applicable)
6. Enter the minimum and maximum values for the Date Range, and select to Count days or nights.
7. Select to hide any variants you do not want the booking calendar to appear on. This is ideal when you sell and rent a product.
8. Add a Location (if applicable)
9. Add a cutoff date or future date (if applicable)
10. If desired, choose a set of colors for the product. This allows you to differentiate products and events by color on the Booking Overview Calendar.
11. Hit Save.
12. If you chose duration method b or c you will need to navigate to Page Settings -> Product Page tab -> and enable 'Date range updates quantity?'
BTA Opening Hours Page
The times available for bookings across all of your appointment products is determined by the Opening Hours. You can find them at BTA Admin > Configuration > Opening Hours.
You can find out more about Opening Hours here.
The product rental widget provides a sleeker look and feel compared to the classic booking form. There are several settings that you can choose from and the widget preview updates in real time so you can see the effect of the changes.
1. Access the widgets configured for your store via BTA Admin > Configuration > Widgets.
2. Click 'Add Widget' and select the Rental Widget to enable it.
3. In the Products tab of the widget you can choose to use this widget configuration for all your products using the Product profile, or you can specify specific products.
- Name: You can have multiple rental widgets with different settings so you can use the name field to describe what this widget is for.
- Mode: Determines how the widget appears in the product page. Inline or Popup option.
- Headline: Specify a headline for your widget.
- Booking Start Text: Set the text for the booking start label in the legend.
- Booking End Test: Set the text for the booking end label in the legend.
- Display Legend: Enable to display the legend.
- Include Return Date: Enable to show the end date of the booking period.
- Allow Choosing Resource: Allow the customer to select the resource.
- Allow Choosing Location: Allow the customer to select the location.
- Highlight Color: Specify the highlight color.
- Header Background Color: Set the background color for the widget's header.
- Legend Background Color: Set the background color for the legend.