This article will walk you through the process of configuring products in BookThatApp (BTA) where the customer will select the rental period for their booking. The product rental widget will allow you to capture a single date or date range. You will have the option of charging the customer a predefined amount based on duration variant, a per-day rate, or you can use duration variants to create price breaks.
There are 3 parts this guide will cover:
- Creating the product in Shopify
- Configuring the product in BookThatApp
- Setting up the product rental widget for your store
There are 2 ways to create your products: via the Shopify admin product page, or through the app installation process. We recommend using the app installation method as it streamlines the process and walks you through each of the steps from product creation to implementing your booking widget.
If you opt to create your product in Shopify first please select the following link.
Note: You may also want to review the following article for details on the 3 pricing scenarios that Shopify supports.
BookThatApp (BTA) Setup Wizard
The BTA setup wizard walks you through creating a product and configuring the widget that will allow the booking form to display on the product page of your storefront.
1. In the app admin select Installation to begin the process.
2. After selecting the option for the type of bookings you will take you will select the Next button to continue the process. For this example, we selected the Products option.
3. Here are a few brief notes regarding variants.
- Any option representing pricing should be done through variants.
- Do not enter the dates or times of the event as variants because you will create a schedule in the app.
- If you have a minimum quantity requirement to book a product you will want to enable the widget setting for Set Minimum Quantity.
4. If you created your product in Shopify and imported it into the app choose Product as the Profile. This is automatically done if you are creating your product through the app's Setup Wizard.
The remaining configuration steps are the same regardless of the method you used to create your products.
5. Enter the Capacity of the product (max number of the product available at any 1 time)
6. Choose to base capacity on Product or Variant. In most instances, it will be product-based. However, if you offer different sizes or colors then you may choose to use variant-based capacity.
With a variant-based capacity, the variant representing capacity must be listed first.
7. There are a few options for setting duration. It all comes down to how you handle pricing. If you want to make the product available for purchase and for rent you will need to create a Purchase variant in your set of Duration variants. Click here to see an example.
a. Shopify Variants - with this option you will create variants in Shopify to represent the duration.
ie. 1 Day, 3 Days, 1 Week, etc.
On the product configuration page in the app, you will base the Duration off of Variant and set the values accordingly.
b. Daily Rate - to offer a daily rate you will base the Duration off of Product and set the value to 1 day.
c. Price Breaks Based on Rental Duration - To implement this, base the Duration off of Variant. Select the Variants represent date range? checkbox and enter the duration values in the Range From and Range To fields.
8. Enter lead or lag time (if applicable)
9. Enter the minimum and maximum values for the Date Range, and select to Count days or nights.
10. In the Variant actions section of the page select Manage and then select the hide checkboxes for any variants you do not want the booking calendar to appear on. This is ideal when you sell and rent a product. Click here to see an example.
11. In the Locations section of the page, add a Location (if applicable). This will let you schedule by location and include the location's address in reminder emails.
12. Add a cutoff date or future date (if applicable)
13. If desired, choose a set of colors for the product. This allows you to differentiate products and events by color on the Booking Overview Calendar.
14. Select Save.
15a. If you chose duration method b or c you will need to navigate to Configuration-> Order Processing-> and enable Date range updates quantity?
15b. If you chose duration method b or c you will need to navigate to your existing Rental widget and enable the setting for Allow Choosing Date Range.
BTA Operating Hours Page
The times available for bookings across all of your appointment products are determined by the Operating Hours. You can find them at BTA Admin > Configuration > Operating Hours.
You can find out more about Operating Hours here.
The product rental widget provides a sleeker look and feel compared to the classic booking form. There are several settings that you can choose from and the widget preview updates in real-time so you can see the effect of the changes.
If you are using the Setup Wizard it will automatically walk you through the steps to configure and customize the widget. If you imported your product from Shopify you will need to complete the following steps.
1. Access the widgets section of the app by selecting Widgets.
2. Click Add Widget and select the Rental widget to enable it.
3. In the Products tab of the widget you can choose to use this widget configuration for all your products using the Product profile, or you can specify specific products.